The first completely hand tool project that I completed is a Pirate chest I made for my son.  The treasures he has been keeping in there are his SillyBandz.  

It was made from a pallet that I brought home on the top of my car so the boards were just rough cut.  I had to surface plane each of the boards flat, edged them so all the sides were the same height.  For the top, I ripped four pieces out of each boards width.  This was less time consuming then I thought it would be and it really put my Disston rip saw to good use.  


The top boards were applied one at a time, the next board was planed to match the angle of the preceding boards.  I think there is some math formula that would tell you exactly what angle each of the boards need to be but I just did it all by eye.  The boards were glued and clamped, because of this I could only do 2 at a time.  one on the front, and one on the back.  On those days I was really ambitious I could get 4 boards glued up in one day so it took me close to a month to get the top glued together.


The arch on the lid sides was drawn using a long compus.  The hinges were bent to match, it took a bit of fiddling but it fits well.

The corners of the sides were dovetailed together.